The Grove Hotel, Watford near London, UK
What’s so great about this pool?
If you’re looking for the best hotels with swimming pools near London, check out The Grove. There are actually two pools at this fabulous hotel. There is a large open air pool, which is kept warm and is in superb grounds of an old stately home. It’s a wonderfully relaxing place to take a break: you can honestly feel that you’re on a holiday – even though you are within a few miles of north London. And there’s a fine indoor pool, which is a great place to relax and unwind.
The Grove low-down
The Grove is one of the most luxurious hotels in the London area. It’s the sort of place where top sportsmen stay when they are competing in London. Even though it’s just outside Watford – a fairly ordinary commuter town – this is a five star hotel, where the car park is always full of Porsches and Range Rovers and Ferraris.
The hotel is based in a historic house, which was originally built around 1700 but has been much altered. It has huge grounds, a top class golf course, a gigantic walled garden which now houses the outdoor swimming pool and loads of rooms and outdoor areas where you can sit and relax or enjoy a drink.
The hotel regularly wins awards for its food. You can have fine dining at Collette’s or a sumptuous buffet meal at The Glasshouse restaurant. If you want to improve your golf, there is an assortment of classes and tuition. There is a spa with a full range of therapeutic and beauty treatments. And if you’re feeling like a bike ride, the hotel is next to the historic Grand Union Canal, so you can cycle down the tow-path. And if you’ve got kids and want to get away from them, there is creche with great facilities and a range of exciting activities.
More luscious UK pools
- The outdoor pool is in the walled garden and is surrounded by grass – ideal for long summer days
- The pool is kept deliberately warm – no nasty shocks when you get in
- Every summer, the hotel creates a sandy beach – mounds of sand where you can sit, make sandcastles or pretend that you are at the seaside
- The indoor pool is ozone-filtered, which means fewer chemicals in the water and that the water feels silky to the touch.
- The indoor pool has black tiles and is designed to feel as if you’re taking a midnight dip.
- Children under-12 are not allowed in the main indoor pool, but there is a smaller pool next to the kids club for them.
What else is there to do in the area?
In the hotel grounds you can play golf, go for bike rides and walk in wonderful countryside. Five minutes’ drive away is Warner Brother Studios with the Harry Potter experience. Hertfordshire has some historic towns – most notably St Albans which has a fine Cathedral and Roman ruins and a traditional market place. If you’re desperate to get into the big city, central London is only a short train ride away.