Gran Melia Palacio de Los Duques, Madrid, Spain
What’s so great about this pool?
The pool is fairly modest in size, but it’s in a superb position. It’s right in the historical heart of Madrid. It’s on the hotel roof and it’s got views of the Royal Palace, the Almudena Cathedral and the superb local architecture. All of which means that on a hot day – and Madrid can be extremely hot – you can be in the bustling heart of one Europe’s finest capitals, and still completely chill out by the pool.
- Opening hours are from 10.00am to 8.00pm, so you have plenty of time for a dip
- Water temperature is a refreshing 24 degrees Centigrade
- Next to the pool is a solarium and cocktail bar
- The pool is 9 metres long and 3 metres wide. It has a depth of one metre.
- A jacuzzi is next to the pool, to soothe away all your aches and pains
- There is decking and loungers, so you can lie out in the sun
- The pool is only open in summer – usually closing at the end of September
See more luscious pools
So the pool’s fab – what about the hotel?
The Gran Melia Palacio de los Ducques is a former nineteenth century palace. The hotel has 160 rooms and 20 suites. There are three restaurants. The Restaurante Dos Cielos Madrid offers the best of Spanish fine dining. The Coroa Royal Gallery offers more modern and lighter dishes – including tapas, while the Montmartre restaurant is a wine bar with simple dishes. And there is a tea room, where you can enjoy pastries and tea.
There is a fitness centre – open 24 hours – and a Thai wellness room offering massage and health treatments. The hotel boasts a large garden – a rarity in the centre of Madrid.
What else is there to do around there?
Madrid is one of the great cultural hubs of Europe. It has 73 museums and art galleries – including the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Thyssen – containing some of the greatest art works in the world. It also has Palaces, including the Escorial – an incredible Renaissance complex – and some wonderful gardens. Stunning restaurants, great shops and a lively nightlife add to the lustre.