WHITTLEBURY HALL, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
So the swimming pool’s fab, now what about the rest of the hotel?
What’s so great about this pool?
This unassuming pool is a real treasure that’s very hard to leave. Small though it is, the sound of the gushing water means that even if there are other people around you, you don’t hear them. Also the clever clover-shaped design affords you privacy with a friend as you can sit together in one of the ‘petals’. Blessed with a variety of over-water and underwater hydrotherapy pumps it’ll give you the most amazingly invigorating hydro body massage. There are racks to sit on or lie on under that luscious water.
Swimming pool details
- The temperature of the water is surprisingly warm, and surprisingly hard to leave.
- The jets both under and above the water are seriously powerful – you will feel as if you have had a good massage after experiencing the hydropool.
- The pool has heated tiled loungers by the side (called tepidarium) – they are fantastic bone warmers and be warned: you will find yourself Googling ‘tepidarium prices’ when you get home!
- Also on the poolside are a wonderful steam room, a gorgeous ice cave, saunas, foot baths and a variety of showers.
- There is a very large swimming pool in an adjacent part of the spa around which there are two more saunas and steam rooms and yet another whirlpool bath. You can lie by the poolside at the bigger pool and eat at the casual poolside restaurant which boasts great, fresh food.
Whittlebury Hall – the lowdown
This is a modern spa hotel set in beautiful grounds in a tiny Northamptonshire village, not far from the Silverstone motor racing circuit. It has a very grand feel and a visit (whether a day spa trip or an overnight one) affords you true escapism. But if you do stay, you can head to the hydrotherapy pool first thing in the morning (highly recommended) and the buffet breakfast is of a very high quality.
The spa which hosts this gorgeous pool is spacious, and luxurious, with bowls of fresh fruit dotted around lounging areas, plus hot and cold drinks available all day.
You can have a fabulous array of beauty treatments, but what we really loved were the warm waterbeds. Oh, they are worth trying!
What else is there to do round there?
The village of Whittlebury is so small that there isn’t even a shop but the local church is well worth visiting – it’s old and graceful and the grounds are beautifully kept. There is a golf course on the grounds. Towcester nearby has some lovely shops and tea rooms and is well worth a visit.